Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Great Gatsby - I'm within, and without

So I'm letting everyone know that I will be talking about this movie without holding much back. I may or may not spoil it for you. Either way I don't really care. If you haven't read this story by now that's your own fault. F. Scott Fitzgerald was the author of this book, and from what I have heard, this tale was actually about his own messed up love life. But that's just what I had heard. I had always admired this story, but it wasn't until I had seen this film that I had developed any real appreciation for it. I felt a connection with Gatsby, it was a connection that I was both inspired by and ashamed of. I will elaborate soon enough. The Great Gatsby starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel Edgerton, Tobey Maguire, and Carry Mulligan. The director was Baz Luhrmann who also did Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet. I can certainly see the similarities in the films, from the directors style. The Great Gatsby was about a man redefining himself and having society adapt to this redefinition, and accept it. But it was more then that, it was also a sad story of love and tragedy. We could also throw in some adultery, illegal drinking during the prohibition, and murder, but those are just the small things. Gatsby, played by DiCaprio, was a man with a hope that was unrelenting. He had such great hope, knowing that he was destined for more than just a simple life. I can sympathize. He had been everywhere and done everything as a young man. He saw his dreams and sought them out without looking back. However, I suppose that dream was more of an opportunity. Tomato tomato. I once again can sympathize. I am closer then I let on to the people I know, to fulfilling my life's dream. I'm just an arm's length away from achieving it. Though it is just a story, it is inspiring to see an average man achieve something grand, something he set out to do. After achieving it, seeing the man Gatsby became was also inspiring. Minus the gangster stuff, he was a good man. Well known and loved by his peers and friends. I feared if things were set in motion, what kind of person I would turn out to be. Minus the gangster stuff, I would like to think I would be like him. DiCaprio did a wonderful job portraying a fictional man who I would not mind aspiring myself to be. What I didn't like was that Gatsby did all of this so a women he had loved in the past would find him good enough for her. He had made his millions and threw lavish parties, celebrating with the rich and famous. All to get the attention of a single woman. Unfortunately, to my shame, I did the same. I thought to myself, maybe if I go to college and get an education, get my book published, make tons of money, just maybe, someday, she would come back to me. Maybe I could earn her love again. This is where Gatsby and myself must part ways. Unlike him, I found out before it was too late, that this is no longer for her. It's for me, I accomplished everything that I had, for me. I apologize for interjecting my feelings and personal issues into this review. I'm sure none of you want to hear it. Bare with me. I haven't been the same since. But now, I assure those who know me, that the anger is fleeting. I want to be a good man, and aspire further to be a great man. I believe Gatsby is a good thing to aspire to be...to an extent. Had to get it off my chest. Aside from my fondness of the character, Gatsby, the acting was decent enough. It still felt like Maguire was trying to act in another crappy Spider-Man movie. The film, to me, felt like it had A.D.D. or something. The dialogue and the characters in each scene felt scattered, like they couldn't keep their attention on what they were doing in the scene. It just felt strange to me. But by no means was I bored. I was fairly entertained. I've never enjoyed rap music in 1920's mob movies. However, in this film, I didn't seem to mind it so much; it almost seemed appropriate in some scenes. Without Maguire though; something about him rubs me the wrong way. He's by no means, tough. What drove me absolutely crazy was the way DiCaprio said "Old Sport." My God! It was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I literally gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. It wasn't just the way he said it, but how many times he said it. I think I heard it three times in one sentence. It was maddening. The critics didn't particularly care for this film. They said it was okay at best. They weren't wrong. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say I liked it. I did like it, and I would recommend at least one watch to anyone who would ask. I give The Great Gatsby a 2 1/2 out of 4. I can't see me lovin' nobody but you, for all my life. When you're with me the skies'll be blue, for all my life. Me and you, and you and me. No matter how they toss the dice, it has to be. The only one for me is you, and you for me. So happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment